Have you ever seen a news report or talk show discuss issues around teaching and learning and thought to yourself or said to your colleagues, “Why don’t they just ask a real teacher about (you fill in the blank)?”
The AFT Teacher Leaders Program is a union-sponsored program designed to help prepare YOU to be that classroom teacher, facilitating discussion of the issues that affect our profession both here in New Orleans and nationally.
UTNO is seeking teachers interested in collaborating with colleagues across the city and nation on:
- Increasing understanding of the major challenges facing the teaching profession
- Improving leadership skills
- Representing our profession as spokespersons
- Becoming members of an influential and supportive network of educators
This program will take place one Saturday per month from September 2021-April 2022 Modest stipends will be offered.
Applications and FAQ sheet are available online at www.utno.org. For more information, please contact Alorea Gilyot at 504-289-2247.
The application deadline for this program is August 27, 2021
Guidelines: The United Teachers of New Orleans invites you to participate in the AFT Teachers Leaders Program for 2021-2022 school year. Educators from Orleans Parish with full-time classroom responsibilities and who are union members will be selected to join a nationwide teacher leaders network. We are seeking educators who would like to take an active role in influencing educational policy in areas such as promoting children’s well-being; supporting powerful learning; building capacity; and fostering collaboration.
We will provide educators with opportunities to develop the knowledge and skills to influence policy locally, statewide, and nationally. This will include framing practical policy positions that relate to improved student achievement; conducting research in classrooms and schools; engaging the public and elected officials in community conversations about education; participating on advisory boards, panels, and task forces; developing policy recommendations based on research conducted; and publishing and disseminating findings and recommendations nationwide.
Educators selected for the program will:
- Increase their knowledge of major challenges facing the teaching profession through readings and discussions with leading policy experts;
- Improve leadership skills;
- Become more active in UTNO;
- Be recognized by the public and media;
- Represent teachers nationwide as spokespersons and become members of a nationwide community;
- Participate in conducting research and using it in influencing policy;
- Be awarded a $1500 stipend.
We are seeking a diverse group of “Teacher Leaders” who are active in their school communities and have track records in working to improve schools.
The application is due no later than August 27. It should be emailed to email@example.com. If you have any questions or would like additional information, please contact Alorea Gilyot at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 504-289-2247.
All portions of the application must be submitted or the application will be considered incomplete:
- essay; and
- two letters of recommendation
Please note: All applicants are required to attend an hour-long group interview.
The application deadline for this program is August 27, 2021.